The thought of something sweet…My love for Mango and a stop at the local market… That’s how it began. After my Zumba class this morning, I was craving healthy, green, and smooth…and sweet! Hmmm… I will make a Mango Smoothie. So, I was picking up ingredients for a vegetable lasagna when I decided to add fresh basil to that recipe. Once I picked it up, I instantly saw a marriage of mango and basil and knew it would be an even tastier and satisfying after-workout delight!
Basil provides antioxidants, is an anti-inflammatory, and boosts immunity!
There was something else! I also had some coconut milk at home, and the thought of it made me feel tropical! So that was it. I combined all three together and voila! I had a the perfect smoothie for me today! And it was delicious! I will make another batch for my kids after school.
Rich Coconut Cream
Coconut milk is rich in B vitamins, energizes the body, and builds up the immune system. Coconuts have a medium-chained fatty acid that is absorbed by the body and used for energy.
Mangos are rich in antioxidants, lower cholesterol, and clear the skin. They even improve digestion. Besides all of that, they are simply yummy and are my favorite fruit of all time!
Doing Zumba makes me feel so alive and, as I have mentioned before, there is something almost tribal about it and, apparently…the tribal’ness’ led me somewhere tropical!
Sometimes, using a recipe or a best-laid plan turns into something else…more MAGICAL! I love this combination and will definitely make it again, maybe even tomorrow.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Simple, if you have the ingredients on hand and, if not, it’s worth the special trip to the local market.
- 1 cup of coconut milk (canned variety~use half coconut liquid and half creamy goodness)
- 1 cup of frozen mango (if you use fresh mango, see note below)
- 1 teaspoon liquid vanilla (optional)
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves removed from stems
- A touch of sweetener if needed. Your choice...maple syrup, stevia. I used agave.
- Also, if your smoothie is too thick, try adding a little water or coconut milk, liquid part, until it is the consistency you like...adjust for flavor.
- Put the coconut milk combination in your blender first. Then add mango and basil leaves. Add vanilla now if you like. Blend until creamy and smooth! Taste and add sweetener to your liking. That's It! Sit on your back porch or in a comfy chair and sip the goodness!
- *Note: If you are using fresh mango, then you can add a handful of ice to make it cold and refreshing.
This recipe offers…
- a tropical twist
- anti-inflammatory properties
- pure summer lovin’!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Have a wonder-filled day.
Peace, love, and mangoes,